- What does Bodhicitta, the mind of Enlightenment mean?
- What are afflictive emotions?
- Why are afflictive emotions considered to be adventitious stains on our Buddha nature?
Read chapters 1 – 3 of Shantideva’s A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life.
- Identify specific experiences in your life where you’ve felt a deep sense of altruistic compassion. What were the causes and conditions that gave rise to your compassion? Cultivate this mental state of compassion for others, practice extending it to people you love, feel neutral to, and feel dislike towards. How does this feel?
- Start by trying to identify which afflictive emotion causes you the most suffering in your life. In your daily meditation practice, try to recall particular experiences when this emotion has taken control of you. How did it feel?