- What are the disadvantages of not maintaining the bodhisattva vows?
- How does bodhicitta make you feel about death?
- By practicing carefulness / conscientiousness, we prevent our bodhicitta from deteriorating. What exactly are we guarding against?
For those of you who have not studied the sections of the Lam Rim that explain subjects such as bodhicitta, the bodhisattva vows, and the Six Perfections, please consider reading some of the following books or online texts. You will get a lot more out of Rinpoche’s class if you do some background reading:
- Steps on the Path to Enlightenment, vol 3: The Way of the Bodhisattva. by Geshe Sopa. Wisdom, 2007.
- The Bodhisattva Vow by Geshe Sonam Rinchen Snow Lion, 2000
The Wish-Fulfilling Golden Sun of the Mahayana Thought Training
by Lama Thubten Zopa Rinpoche source: http://www.lywa.org, see the fourth PDF file
- Root Bodhisattva Vows http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/practice_material/vows/bodhisattva/root_bodhisattva_pledges.html?query=18+bodhisattva+vows by Alexander Berzin
When setting out on the path to Enlightenment, having role models and guides such as spiritual teachers and sangha are absolutely vital. There are bodhisattvas amongst us, but we can not recognize them as such. Think of people in your own life — parents, friends, acquaintances who inspire you with their selfless love, compassion, and courage. Whether they are Buddhist or not doesn’t matter. Then take a honest, gentle look at yourself. Is it necessary for you to make changes to the circumstances in your life so you can better nurture and cultivate bodhicitta?
posted by Dina Li