The following has been posted with permission from Kopan Monastery:
Dear friends and students of FPMT,
I have been asked about continuing with the pledges to Avoid Killing, and I think that this is good to do again now. We are now celebrating the Month of Saka Dawa (from June 3rd to July 2nd), a very special month to make the pledge, as the merit of virtuous activities during this month multiply by a million.
Let’s use this precious opportunity to accumulate merit, purifying our karma, and benefit so many sentient beings.
This is also an easy way to do something for the long life of our Holy Gurus – His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, your own gurus.
It is also very beneficial for prolonging our own lives, by not contributing to killing. I suggest that during the holy month of Saka Dawa (Buddhas Enlightenment and Paranirvana) you can take one of the following pledges:
- To become vegetarian for this whole life
- To become vegetarian for one year
- To become vegetarian for the month of Saka Dawa ( June 1 – June 30)
- Keep precepts for the whole month of Saka Dawa
- Keep precepts on all special days of Buddha and all precept days for the whole life
- Not to eat meat during all special days of Buddha (4 days in a year) for one year
We can also promise not to get angry during this month of Saka Dawa.
It is most powerful to make this pledge on the day of Saka Dawa, which
is June 18th, 2008.
Please use this the link to make the pledge:
http://FreeOnlineSu rveys.com/ rendersurvey. asp?sid=lmdgf7f4 8ovh55w439018
Once you have submitted the pledge, feel very strongly that you have
made this promise in the presence of all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas
and rejoice at the merit created. Your sincere motivation will make
this pledge very powerful.
All the merit accumulated in this way, please dedicate extensively in the following way:
- to the long life of HH, LZR, LOR, and all your own gurus
- to increase the teachings of the Buddha in general and specially the Mahayana teachings
- to remove all the problems in all countries experiencing war, famine, violence of any kind
- to increase peace in the world
- to remove all obstacles to the return of HH to Tibet
- for complete peace between Tibet and China
I rejoice in your great merit and make prayers for the success of your practice.
with many prayers,