When I first read the following announcement about His Holiness’s vision for an international Buddhist institute, I almost fell out of my chair. His Holiness’ compassion and understanding of what contemporary Buddhist practitioners need is so sharp, and the breadth of his vision is so inclusive and pragmatic. I hope you can help spread the word and support this amazing project.
Labsum Gomdrub Ling: International Buddhist Institute for Cultivating the Three Higher Trainings
His Holiness the Dalai Lama, LGL’s Patron, has a pioneering new vision to create a truly international Buddhist institute, bringing all the Buddhist traditions of the world together in study and practice, in India the land of the Buddha.
Under expert guidance from His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Samdhong Rinpoche (Tibet’s Prime Minister and LGL’s Chief Advisor) and other great scholars, His Holiness’ vision for Labsum Gomdrub Ling is currently being developed into a comprehensive curriculum, which will:
• Offer in-depth, intensive intermediate and advanced-level study and practice of ALL the Buddhist traditions, initially in four root Buddhist language mediums – Tibetan, Chinese, Sanskrit and Pali – as well as in English, and eventually in other languages and traditions, such as Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.
• Embrace multi-disciplinary studies exploring the relationship between Buddhism and science, health, psychology, and other religious and philosophical traditions
• Create a truly non-sectarian (Rime) approach, returning to the texts common to all schools of Buddhism: the Buddha’s own words (sutras) and the original Indian commentaries (shastras)
• Follow in the footsteps of the ancient Nalanda Buddhist University, using tools of logic and reasoning to critically examine the teachings and stimulate open debate, questioning and deeper learning
• Be delivered from a modern perspective, taught by a diverse range of scholars and practitioners, all expert in their field
• Be set in a comfortable, modern campus designed to meet the needs of international students – nuns, monks and lay people of all nationalities and religious backgrounds – in India, land of the Buddha
Your Part in His Holiness’s Vision…
Currently Labsum Gomdrub Ling is a small, but growing group of international non-profit volunteers in need of many more ideas and volunteers to turn His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s vision into reality.
Therefore, Labsum Gomdrub Ling is seeking input from members of the community about all aspects of the institute and invites you to:
1. Learn more about His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s Founding Vision at www.LGLinstitute.org.
2. Share your ideas about how to best implement that Vision in LGL’s Facebook Discussion Forum — Your ideas are important and very much appreciated!
3. Sign up for regular email updates via the LGL Community Email List.
4. Forward this message to anyone who might be interested! (For example: email lists, newsletters, links on your blogs and websites, etc.)
5. For more ways to get involved, please see www.LGLinstitute.org including urgently needed volunteers such as full- time Project Director and many other opportunities to serve His Holiness!
Thank you very much for taking time to read about Labsum Gomdrub Ling! As LGL builds a large and diverse community of people, each of whom plays a part in bringing His Holiness’ vision into reality, it’s an exciting time and we hope you’ll join us!
For more information
and to join the LGL Email List for regular updates…
Facebook Discussion Forum at:
Labsum Gomdrub Ling International Buddhist Community